An antiquity the area was inhabited the Greek tribe of the Thesprotians. The village of Parga, once known as Hypargos (Greek: Ὕπαργος – Greek pronunciation: [ˈipaɾɣos]) stands from the early 13th century. It was originally built on top of the mountain “Pezovolo”. In 1360 the Pargians in order to avoid the attacks of the Albanians transferred the village to its present location. During that period, with the help of the Normans who held the island of Corfu, the fortress of Parga was built. In 1401 a treaty was signed with the Venetians, and the rule of Ionian Islands passed to them. The Venetians respected the lifestyle of Pargians who provided in turn, invaluable assistance to the fleet of the Venetians. At the same time Pargians fought by the side of their compatriots to throw off Ottoman rule.
Parga rightfully attracts thousands of tourists every summer, not only because of its natural beauties, but also because of its beautiful beaches. Swimmers can enjoy the calm and warm waters, and a wide variety of sea sports or games are also available. The coasts of Parga are probably the best part by the beaches of Ionian Sea. The most popular and most visited beaches are: Valtos, Kryoneri, Piso Kryoneri, Lichnos, Sarakiniko, Ai Giannakis and other steep but also of rare beauty beaches.